Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I thought I was gaining ground . . .

Just when I thought I was gaining ground . . .

The kitchen was looking great: the piles of mail, books, and school papers had been banished from the counter tops, the sink was clean and dish free every night, the jello that had sloshed onto the refridgerator shelf and "gelled" there had been scrubbed away, the floor was crumb free and even the cabinets had been whipped clean.

The family room was in good shape: toys were being put away each night, the video box no longer looked like it was throwing up, we could find all the remotes and were no longer tripping on shoes, backpacks, and sweaters.

I was in the cleaning groove. I had a routine down finally and NO ONE was going to keep me from my routine. Well, except me. A couple days of not getting my morning straightening done, combined with a couple nights of poor sleep and a couple days of low energy and laundry burn out has put me back to square one.

Just when it seemed like things were getting easier and under control a few things went a little haywire and sent the whole house spiraling down. Can't a mom have just a couple days off without the house falling apart? It's not like I am the only one around here who can pick things up or wash a dish.

I guess one of the lessons of life I am learning as a mother is to just keep going. If the phrase When the going gets tough, the tough get going I must not be tough because at my house When the going gets tough, Mom takes a nap.

Now that it's 10:00pm, my (ha ha) bedtime I suppose I should head out into the great room and get started on my evening routine so I don't have to wake up to the mess that's out there now. And so we'll have clean dishes for breakfast.

I just have to keep reminding myself it really is easier if I take the time to stay on top of things. And that I can get back on top of things if I am consistent about working on it a little at a time.

I just need to kill that little voice in my head that says,"Aren't your forgetting you live with six kids? Your house will never really be clean."

Well, it can at least be clean from 11:00pm to 7:00am.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya. It is a never-ending job. That's my problem with it. I like things that have a beginning and and end and cleaning just isn't one of them. So, I quit and entropy, and my little monsters, don't.

Kristine said...

Your post sums up exactly how I feel...and I'm heading on vacation on Friday...and instead of getting my still upended house (from my card making spree last week) in order, I'm sitting here reading my favorite blogs.

It is hard with 6 kids...and all those piles your described...I have them too.

I wish you good luck, and the desire and ability to stay ahead of the mess!!

snowelf said...

I found the COOLEST magnetic chore chart from Melissa and Doug toys at my daughter's book fair for about $20. My kids have never been so happy to clean up their things and brush their teeth. I am totally taking advantage of it before the novelty wears off. Even my two year old thinks it's cool to put his star magnets on. I'm eventually going to blog about it, it's the greatest!

Good luck, cause I totally feel your pain! And I laughed right out loud about the video box throwing up. We have a video dresser that seems to have serious indigestion at all times.

--snow

Nettie said...

Did I write this? It fits my life exactly. Well, except the 6 kids part. I love when I am on top of things. But I just don't have the stamina to maintain it every day. And then I feel guilty.