Yesterday my five year old burst through the front door with a hand full of brown and red leaves. She has been asking me when Fall would begin for weeks now.
"Is it fall now?" she asked, her big brown eyes staring up at me.
"Well, if the leaves are falling, it must be fall!" I said.
And with that the weather seems to have changed just as October rolled in. The wind has kicked up and gentle showers have peppered our streets, along with a few good thunder showers that jolt us from our dreams at night.
For some reason when Fall rolls around I begin to get the urge to craft. Anything, any kind of craft. I want to wander through Michaels or JoAnn's until I find something to paint, glue, sew or crochet. I like to find myself in a warm home working on a project at the kitchen table or curled up on the couch crocheting something cozy for a friend.
Here is where I insert the comment about having no time to do such crafts anymore, which is not entirely true. I can make a little time for myself each week. Instead I will insert a comment about something that made me just as excited, if not more so, than crafting myself:
This weekend I taught my seven year old daughter and ten year old son the basics of crochet. It took patience, but they were both so excited when they caught on. I think my son has a chain that's about eight feet long. That night I went to bed feeling rather. . . proud? Domestic? Excited? I wasn't sure for a while, but I finally put my finger on it: I had taught something that I enjoy to my children, something that my mother taught me when I was a child, and most likely her mother taught her. It was a weird warm family bonding feeling, a link from my childhood to theirs. A passing on of a small fall crafting tradition. Whatever the feeling was, it felt very sweet.
Tuesday, October 03, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I love this and can totally envision you teaching your children how to crochet.
I've been trying to knit during the day, a little bit here and there when the kids are playing. (I am trying to make the girls ponchos for winter). It's wonderful that they'll come over and watch me, intently. I'm excited for the day that I can show them how to knit and then hopefully, get them started on their own craft.
Yes, it is awesome to pass down traditions like this - - and I totally agree that "fall" always brings out the crafty side of me, too. What's really odd is that the weather here doesn't change much, so it's more an ATTITUDE change than a seasonal change. I hope you'll post a picture of whatever it is you create!
I still feel sorry for my grandma. She tried to teach me when I was little and I just never could get it. Sewing and cooking, I'm not very good at. But I can scrapbook like a mad fiend at least...you know, when I have that stuff called time everyone keeps talking about. ;)
--snow
This reminded me of my grandmother teaching me to crochet. I ended up crocheting an entire skein of bright orange yarn into a chain. Now that she has passed away, her taking the time to teach me that and other things are very sweet memories to me.
Good job, creating your own sweet memories with your children!
Post a Comment