Tuesday, October 03, 2006

My "Babies"

One Week Old


Can I still call them babies? When will I not be able to call them babies anymore? My two and a half year old twins respond quite nicely when I say, "Come on babies." They know who I am referring to when I say, "It's time for the babies to have a bath." And yet there seemed to be an awkward moment when my friend brought her month old infant into our home.

"See the baby?" I said. Tabitha looked at the baby and then at me. There was a slight pause before she repeated, "Baby." Did she wonder how this tiny thing in front of her that didn't walk, didn't talk, and didn't even have hair could be a baby, when in fact she is a baby?

I could call them "the twins", but for some reason that just doesn't roll off my tongue as smoothly. It feels to, for lack of a better word, twiny. Although calling them both "the babies" lumps them into a category together, I feel like when I call them "the twins" I am lumping them into one person. And of course saying "Come on Tabitha and Timothy," can get to be a mouth full. And I have to go through the roll call of all six kids before I say the right names.

So do I have to stop calling them babies? They they still need me to clothe them, bathe them, feed them, and most importantly, change their diapers. I still dry their tears, rock them, read them stories, and sing them lullabies. I still strap them into car seats, take them on walks in the stroller, tie their shoelaces and hover anxiously near as they climb on the playground equipment.

I suppose the day will come when they will turn to me and say,"Mom, we are not babies!" complete with hands on hips and eyes rolling. But the truth is, Tim and Tab, you will always be my babies.

(Sorry, I am having trouble loading their current photos. Just imagine two very cute two year olds smiling at you here!)

7 comments:

The Amazing Trips said...

They will always be your babies. I will continue to refer to our children as babies so long as they are sleeping in a crib and wearing diapers ... and most importantly - until they can protest.

The picture that you were able to post is precious. It makes me want another one. Or two. Or three...

Beck said...

I think the youngest in the family ALWAYS gets called "baby", regardless of age. So they can be your babies forever.

Nettie said...

I still call my 19 month old the baby. And since we are expecting another next March, I keep thinking I should stop. Otherwise things might not only get confusing, but she might start to feel someone has stolen not only her precious position as youngest, but her nickname, as well! But, alas, I can't seem to stop!

snowelf said...

I call both of my kids "baby". I think it's too late for me!!

:)

--snow

utmommy said...

I still call my youngest my baby and she's 4. Darling picture,

Anonymous said...

I still call my 3 1/2 year old my baby. I'm having the same dilema as Nettie-I think I should stop so he doesn't feel bad when there is another baby, but I just can't-he is my baby!

That picture is so sweet!

Anonymous said...

I will be 23 this year, and I am still called 'Baby' by my mother. Although it has progressed to 'Baby Doll' over the years. It is only a nickname that is used at home, and I think its cute!!

Love the blog. Keep up the good work. :)