Okay sweetheart, it's time to get started. Just sit down right here. Good, now I'll just adjust the seat for you a little. Is that a comfortable position? Okay, now just take a deep breath and relax. Perfect.
Now for this procedure we are going to need a couple of tools. Here is the most important one, we'll just put it right here . . . just like that . . . grasp with your fingers. . .Got it? It's called a pencil. It won't hurt you one bit, I promise. Now this is paper. It has funny markings on it. Sometimes those markings are math problems, other times they will be spelling words. They will not kill you.
Just start at the top of the paper and work towards the bottom. It won't take long, and if you keep focused it will be fairly painless. I'll be right here if you need me. Okay, go ahead. Do that homework.
Some nights I think pulling teeth would be easier than getting the kids to do their homework. Perhaps a little laughing gas for Mom wouldn't hurt either.
Thursday, September 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm laughing because I totally relate.
It has taken YEARS for my 11 year old to do his homework on his own (it was mid-4th grade before he was really reliable). Even still he is VERY distractable.
And spelling words? That was a fight I didn't even battle last year with my DD (now 9). When she ended up with a B due to lack of study, I told her it was no longer negotiable. This year she has to study them at least a couple of times.
I try to make it fun...but it is imperative to me to teach my kiddos study skills. I just have to keep repeating, "It's worth it. It's worth it! It's worth it!!" because sometimes I would really rather pull my hair out than help my children do their homework.
I totally agree! My 6 year old is just now entering the "having homework" phase and I am praying that she is one of those kids who will just take to it. I think she will be fine, but I have a feeling my son will be my "problem" child when it comes to homework.
Not that I can blame any of them--I hated homework, too, but I am hoping that I can teach my kids the error of my grade school/high school ways(I'm an excellent student now at least!) and enforce how important it is to learn what the teachers are trying to teach you. :)
Good luck to everyone!!
Post a Comment