"Mom, come close so no one will hear," five year old Gracie whispered up to me. I leaned over and put my ear next to her face.
"Are you and Dad the Tooth Fairy?" she asked, a big smile on her face. Awkwardly I gave her a non-committal answer that parents give there kids when they don't want to spoil their childhood fun, and don't want to outright lie either.
"What do you think sweetie?" I asked.
Once again she beckoned my ear close to her face.
"I think you are the tooth fairy." I puzzled at a reply, especially curious as she had yet to even have a loose tooth.
"What makes you think that?" Again, a noncommittal response.
"because I love you and Daddy more than a Tooth Fairy," she whispered back.
I gave her a squeeze and neither denied nor confirmed the existence of the Tooth Fairy. I wondered if there had been a Tooth Fairy conversation among the kindergarteners.
I thought back to the day my first grade peers let me know there was no Santa Clause. I took it okay, but I didn't go home and tell my parents the cat was out of the bag.
Some how, as Gracie seems to have figured out one of the big mysteries of childhood, the glimmer of excitement and innocence has not left her eyes. She seemed just as excited as ever that Dad and I were leaving quarters under everyone's pillows. And although I'm a little sad the her Tooth Fairy era seems to be over before it even began, I guess I don't mind getting a little credit.
Wednesday, September 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
My kids seemed to go back and forth for a little while. It seems Santa, the Toothfairy and Easter bunny showed up or not when needed, kind of like the cartoon channel. Life can be so bitter sweet at times...sigh.
So sweet.
My oldest son is 14, and I know he knows the truth about Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy, but he has never let me know that he knows, nor does he ever say a word about it to the younger children... He plays the game and gets excited every year.
I think it's sweet she didn't want to ruin the fun for her brothers! :)
I remember once my brother said "Of course I believe in Santa Claus--or else she won't come."
He was refering to our mom. ;)
--snow
Friday is Mary from fireflies and frogs birthday. please stop by her blog and wish her a happy one.
Funny I should come across your entry....we just had this discussion last week. My 9 year old daughter just lost 2 teeth last week. She asked me the same question and I answered her the same way you did. She still left her tooth under the pillow and she still took the money.
We broke the news about the Easter Bunny this past Easter and of course the questions were asked about Santa Claus. I will NEVER say that he doesn't exist. I won't budge on that one. I think she still believes too!!! Kids need to have something to keep them kids.
Great post!
Post a Comment