Tuesday, August 19, 2008

EnRICHing My Kids

I have been a little AWOL from the blogging world of late, but things seem to have settled down now that school has been in session for a week. The first two weeks of school around here are kind of slow, easing the kids (and parents) back into the routine. I have one more back to school night to attend and then it will be official; homework will start coming home and I'll have to be more diligent in checking backpacks and asking questions.

I welcome a little more organization to the day for the kids, getting up at a certain time, having time to play, work, and do homework set aside, and a regular bedtime as well. We all seem to be a lot calmer.

One thing that I have been really wanting to do is get back into the habit of is reading to my kids each night. We started back up a few weeks ago with The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo and have moved on to others since then (look at the sidebar to see what we are currently reading!). I read from the hallway where all the bedroom doors converge while the kids are in their beds. I am surprised at how much the four year olds look forward to it as well, even though the chapter books are above their "level." (I read them their books during the day) Perhaps they will acquire large vocabularies. Seven year old Gracie interrupts a lot to ask what a certain word means, so I know she is improving her vocab and understanding as well.

Mostly I love it because I love books. I love sharing what I love with my kids. When we can talk about a book together or laugh as we make real life comparisons to something we have read, it creates a fun connection in our relationships. What's that old poem?


You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be --
I had a mother who read to me....

-Strickland Gillilan

7 comments:

Dianna said...

What an amazing gift to give your children. My mom read to me and I am so grateful for it.

Ballerina Girl said...

I really enjoy reading also...to myself and to my kids!
Like the saying at the end, hadn't heard it before...
BG

Jeanette said...

What a smart idea to sit in the hall where they can all hear you while they are in bed.
My baby will generally sit on my lap through 1 or 2 picture books now. It is fun to see her getting into the books more and more.

Anonymous said...

I also need to get back to our reading!

Charlotte said...

I have found your blog twice now, so I thought I would leave a comment.

I have read to my kids every summer for the last 5 years, but this year I didn't get it done. Your post just helped me realize why: we moved to a house where the girls and boys sleep on different floors, no more sitting in the hallway so they all can hear. I guess I will need to find a new way to make reading time work.

The Amazing Trips said...

I love, love, love reading to our kids. And now that the triplets are growing a little older, reading has become even more fun than before. They are challenged with the variety of books that I pick out and as we start reading more complex plots, I love watching their imaginations run wild.

The poem you quote is a great one. Isn't it the truth. Some of the best memories I have of my youth are sitting on my mom's lap while she read me stories...

Nettie said...

Good for you for reading to your kids! I go through phases of it. I seem to do better with one age group than another at different times, too.