Thursday, September 18, 2008

Porkin' Out

That's right. It is officially pig week at our house. Somehow, without really planning it, we are eating the other white meat everyday. Ham is one of the foods that everyone in my family will eat. If I buy a big enough one I can get about three meals out of it. Usually I'll cook the ham and then freeze the leftovers to use later. Not this week.

When I went shopping for this week's food I had planned on buying some chicken that was on sale to break up the monotony of ham leftovers. When I got to the store they were down to the last two packages of chicken and they didn't look that fresh, so I skipped. But the big fat pork chops that were on sale looked great!

So here is our menu for the week:

Monday: Ham and Cheesy Potatoes
Tuesday: Breaded Pork Chops
Wednesday: Homemade Split Pea Soup made with the ham bone and leftover ham.
Thursday (tonight): Farmer's Casserole (Shredded hash browns, eggs, cheese, onions, and of course, ham)
Friday: Per Jeremy's request - Waffles and Bacon.

Perhaps we will pigs in a blanket (with pork hot dogs of course) on Saturday, just to round off the week. It's just like Thanksgiving, only with pork instead of turkey.

4 comments:

Misty said...

ALL of it sounds just plain yum!

Anonymous said...

That is too funny! My brother is a pork producer...he'd be happy to read your post. We had chicken three nights in a row this week and the kids didn't even notice--I had fun hiding it in a creamy chicken vegetable soup tonight.

Some of those things on your menu sound wonderful...how do you make cheesy potatoes?

Ballerina Girl said...

I really enjoy hams! Our family tended to have ham only for Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas... and maybe occasionally on a special Sunday. Granted we had pork chops, but I am talking a big ham..mmmm I love it!
Maybe I'll cook one soon if I can find it here...last time I tried, it was like a ham bone with a little bit of meat but didn't taste very good :(
Happy cooking!
BG

rosecreekcottage-carol.blogspot.com said...

It all sounds wonderful: yummy and economical!! You're a good mommy!!

(I think I need to go buy a ham!)