Wednesday, August 30, 2006

What Has Turned My Life Upside Down

Tonight I was planning on whining about the unqualified children's librarian who made my trip to the library less than delightful this evening. But I feel like it's about time I shared something that has happened in my family's life that is kind of a big deal to us, and kind of close to my heart.

Part of why I have been having a rough time keeping my home in order is because my husband has not been home much, as he was recently made a Bishop in the LDS (Mormon) church. Any Mormon can tell you this is a very time consuming calling for a man to have. Not only is he gone most of the day Sunday and two to three nights a week, but he is also constantly fielding phone calls and helping people who come by the house.

I fully support him in this. He is a kind man, a spiritual man, and a man that has a talent for and desire to help other people. Can you see why I married the guy in the first place?

Some ways that him being a Bishop has effected my life so far:
-I'm learning to sit through church alone with six children, including two two year olds.
-I have become an answering service for him.
-I often help four kids get through homework, and all of them get through baths, chores, and into bed without the aid of another adult.
-I often go to bed alone before he gets home from his weeknight meetings.
-I feel like I need to step it up a bit and be a better example and friend to the other women in the ward (congregation), and feel like I fall way short.
-Although the majority of people are understanding and down to earth, I worry about some ward members judging me and my family as we are far from perfect (see yesterday's post).
-I've realized there are many more people than I would have guessed that are needy financially, emotionally, and otherwise, and that there are times that they need my husband's attention as a Bishop more than I need him at home.
-I've found that blessings often come in unexpected ways and at unexpected times.
-I've realized that, even with a busy husband, I've got it really good.

At the risk of sounding too preachy, I have to say that I believe that sacrifice brings increased blessings and strength. I more than believe, I have no doubt. Who ever gained anything good without a little sacrifice? It probably sounds weird, but I think our family is growing closer as we try to balance our new lifestyle. It would be nice if it could have waited for the kids to be grown before this happened, but then they would not have had this example of selflessness and dedication while they were in their formative years.

Well, enough. Suffice it to say that I am a spiritual person, and that it affects all aspects of my life.

By the way, did I mention my husband is starting his Masters program this week?

5 comments:

oshee said...

Wow..that is a burden I am glad we have not been asked to bear. I don't know how you do it. My husband is in the young men's presidency and his time commitments there are somethings a bit of a struggle on their own.

I know you will be blessed for yours and his service. Have you thought of asking one of the young women to sit with you during sacrament meeting? My sister used to do that while her husband sat on the stand as a counselor in the bishopric.

((HUG))

Kristine said...

I just found your blog through Raising Five. Are you me? Seriously, the comparisons sound a little spooky. I'm glad to have found your blog and I wish you lots of sustainment from your ward.

Kristine said...

I meant to say (and got distracted), go to my archives and read Perspective on 6 (March). Glad to have found you!

Blackeyedsue said...

I am so proud of you. I think being the bishop's wife had to be the lonliest and hardest calling in the ward. My DH is just the ward clerk and I think because of me, he won't ever get any higher in the "ric." Our bishop is only a year older than my husband and his wife is my age. I don't know how she does it. I feel nothing but admiration for her. When she raises her voice with her kids, I can't help but love her even more. She is still one of us.

Nettie said...

What a great perspective you have! I do know that the blessings we receive from sacrifice and service always exceed the challenges (although sometimes it takes a looking back perspective to see some of them!)

Our former bishop had 10 kids. They all sat on the second row where he could keep an eye on them and give them "the look" if necessary. I still think his wife was a saint.