Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Name Brand Curse Begins . . .

Taking my oldest daughter shopping for clothes can be a chore. Not because she is picky about the selection, but because everything has to fit. just. right. Sometimes the clothes fit perfectly in the store, but when we get home to model them for Dad they are suddenly to tight here, too baggy there, to itchy, etc.

Still I silently murmur my gratitude that she does not put me through what I put my poor mother through. We had to shop at certain stores. There were certain brands to be sought after and other's to be completely avoided. Some of her clothing suggestions we so horrid(by my teenie bopper standards) they only deserved a simultaneous sigh and rolling of the eyes.

I pray that my daughters don't turn into me as a early teenager. I cross my fingers that they will reasonable when it comes to shopping for clothes.

And yet a red flag went up this morning. My mother bought my oldest sons (10 and 9) ske!chers for school this year. Not because they are name brand, but because the boys (not even knowing they were Ske!chers) thought they looked cool and they were at the shoe outlet we were at.

So this morning as we are getting ready to go to school my daughter pipes up,"Hey! They have Ske!chers!"

The other daughter chimes in, "I want some of those too!"

Cringe. Do they really know that they are "name brand" shoes? Or did they just read the bottoms and think that was a cool name? Please don't let it begin in the second grade!!!!

4 comments:

Blackeyedsue said...

I'm afraid it does begin this young. My DD came home the other day and asked me why she was the only girl in her class without crocs. Whoops. I guess mom needs to be more aware of the fashion trends.

Thanks to my mom, my kids tags have to be cut off. She has asked them if they were itchy since the day they came home from the hospital. I have no idea what size anything is anymore.

Kristine said...

Definitely inevitable...but hopefully we still have the ability to influence them a little. I think once my kids actually start caring, they'll have to supplement the amount we give them if they want the nicer (read more expensive) name brands!

utmommy said...

I have a friend whose son is really having problems with the name brand thing. But this is so dumb. He was wearing GAP, and the kids were making fun of him saying he was G-ay A-nd P-roud. How sad. Kids can be so mean, and there is so much pressure at such a young age. It just makes me sick.

Anonymous said...

I am so loving that my kids have to wear uniforms everyday. They are so far missing out on brand name fever. Except for Crocs, my daughter is constantly checking out if they are "real" or not.