Monday, August 14, 2006

Back to School Already?

It feels like summer, but it's back to school time. Technically, it is still Summer -- as in the season. Where I live the leaves won't be achangin' for a good three months. But, the government says school starts in August so I send the kids, wondering if the next playground injury will be burns from a scalding slide or heat stroke from running around at full force in near 100 degree weather.

This morning I walked the kids to school. By the time I was back home I wondered why I had bothered to get up early to shower.

This afternoon I headed back to the school to walk them home (the stroller laden down with seven chilled water bottles). We arrived home with beads of sweat trickling down our red foreheads and cheeks, and strong desires to do nothing except lay under the air conditioning vent.

I thought I would sit on the couch and cool off while the kids told me about their new classrooms and teachers. This was only semi-effective as you can only cool off so much when you have a forty pound child sitting on your lap.

I hear some one say it every year, "Doesn't it seem like school keeps starting earlier and earlier?"

Either that or it's global warming, 'cause it sure doesn't feel like back to school time!

4 comments:

utmommy said...

I can't believe school starts next week. It's so crazy. In a some ways I'm ready and in other ways I'm not. Here it comes nonetheless.

Nettie said...

It is earlier. We always started the day after Labor Day. School in August is just WRONG!

The Amazing Trips said...

I can just FEEL the heat from your post. Egads ... I totally agree ... why bother to shower if you'll be dripping in sweat after a quick jaunt to school?!

We never started school before labor day. That just seems irresponsible. Who's in charge, anyway?!

Popsicles, icecream, root beer floats. Those are critical components that must be on hand when the temperature passes 100. Oh, and chocolate chip cookies.

Wendy said...

It does seem like school starts earlier and earlier. I think it should start in Sept. after labor day.