Saturday, August 26, 2006

Where My "Free Time" is Going

Technically it seems I should have more time on my hands, now that four of my six kids are in school. It seems like I should be able to do some of those things I have been putting off all summer - sewing, brushing up on the piano, getting the house organized, finishing my correspondence writing course, and deep cleaning EVERYWHERE.

But the fact is I still have two kids at home. Two two years olds as a matter of fact. Before you jump to the conclusion that I am not getting to do the things I have been longing too because the toddlers have gone berserk with the house to themselves; that are sapping my every spare moment to make sure they are not emptying out the trash cans, clogging the toilets with TP, or -the horror- getting into stuff in their sibling's rooms, let me assure you that, although those things have been known to happen, this is not the case.

I am not getting around to so many things I would like to because there is something that I have been wanting to do even more. (Yeah, I know I should insert blogging here, but you have probably noticed I haven't been doing too much of that lately either).

I have been playing with the twins. Although it can't be called undivided attention, I have been giving them a lot more. We are going on walks, bike rides, to the park, to the library, and even to the grocery store. We are reading together, playing "doggies" on our hands and knees, and doing lots more cuddling.

I now have the luxury of really listening to them. And they have a lot to say.

I won't say I'm glad the other kids are out of the house, because I do miss them when they are in school. But I am thankful for a little extra time with out the hustle and bustle of so many bodies so that I can give them more attention, and enjoy them while they are still little.

3 comments:

The Amazing Trips said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!!

That's exactly what you should be doing. I'm so glad that you are enjoying them - they're only little for such a small period of time. I wouldn't believe it, if I wasn't experiencing it myself!!

"See ya" when we see ya! :)

Blackeyedsue said...

YAY!!! I totally get you! It is amazing to see those little personalities when they aren't being suppressed by older siblings. For once my darling two-year old said a phrase today without being told to by her older sister! It was lovely I tell you...just lovely!

snowelf said...

Uh huh...My two year old clogged the toilet not once, but twice this summer...

But I totally know what you mean--some times the best Me Time is We Time. And Stephanie, I totally agree. My daughter is ALWAYS talking for my son, or he is always competeing for my attention. It's kinda nice when it's just me one on one with either of them.

--snow