Friday, September 08, 2006

The "Fun" of Fundraisers

I have never had a Tupperware party, a Pampered Chef party, a Creative Memories party, a Mary Kay party, or any other party of that sort in my home. I have gone to many. Probably too many. But I have never been able to bring myself to invite my friends into my home to spend their money. I don't know why. I guess I am just uncomfortable when friendships get into each other's pocketbooks. I know, the parties are fun and harmless and no one forces you to buy anything. Like I said, I'm glad to attend one at a friend's house and spend my money so they can get a discount for whatever.

I bring this up not because I have a friend in one of the businesses that wants me to hold a party, but because another issue that has to do with hitting people up for money has come up. Most moms are probably familiar with it -- the school fundraiser.

Today all four of my school age children came home with packets full of great things to sell, from wrapping paper ("which you'll need anyway Mom.") to chocolates. All four of them, having sat through the assembly explaining how great it would be to sell this stuff because if they do "you get these great prizes!" And of course all four of them want to sell ten things each so they can get the "ten things sold" level prize. This would translate into me footing the bill for forty rolls of wrapping paper or hitting up twenty or more of my best friends (do I have that many best friends?) to support the cause. And most of those poor souls would also have to buy stuff from their own kids.

I know it's a good cause and the money goes to my kid's education. I can realistically afford to buy a couple of items ("cause we'll need that wrapping paper anyway"). But I am not comfortable soliciting my friends to help out, partly because if one of my friends kids came over and asked me I would probably find something to buy even if I couldn't afford it that month. I wouldn't want to put a friend in that position.

So I'll probably do what I usually do. I'll put the packets at the bottom of the junk stack on my counter and conveniently forget about it until the fundraiser is over. I will later find the packet, feel guilty for not supporting it, but glad that I did not have to choose which kid to buy what from, and that they didn't bring home any junky prizes that would most likely end up in the bottom of my foot or shoved under the bed.

Or the kids will remind me the day the packets are due, I will hurriedly write a check for something and hand it to whichever kid is standing closest to me and tell the rest of the kids not to complain that I didn't order anything from them because it' s not a big enough order to get a prize from anyway.

Then I will forgive myself and go on supporting the school in ways that I can, like with my time in the classrooms, supporting school activities with my involvement, and my efforts to help my children succeed in school.

5 comments:

Kristine said...

I'm the queen of the paper shuffle too!

Too many times I have told my kids: Oh no, that was due last week, (or last month, or more realistically, 3 months ago)?? I'm so sorry we weren't able to do that guys!

I wish they would just ask for $20 per kid or something rather than guilting me into buying something.

One year we had to pay for a field trip (like 3 times as much as if we had of bought 1 of the fundraising item) because we didn't participate in the fundraiser. I was not happy that year! I figured it's less expensive to buy the cheapest thing I can (and want) from each child, just so I'm not stuck in that situation again!

Good luck, and enjoy your new stash of up and coming wrapping paper!

utmommy said...

I hate fundraisers.

Blackeyedsue said...

I won't make my kids participate either. My DH writes a check to the school for $50 and we call it good. They only get a tiny portion of the money from those rip-offs. It's better to do the box-top thing IMO.

The Amazing Trips said...

I don't blame you at all. I doubt I'll let our kids participate in those fundraisers - - I think they're awful.

What a horrible responsibility to put on a bunch of little kids...

Nettie said...

I hate those things to. I feel it is such a rip off to be guilted into buying an overpriced item I didn't want anyways, only to have such a small percentage go to the school. And its not safe for kids to go door to door, and they do, even if told they shouldn't. We just make a donation "in lieu of". My kids here the same complaining lecture I make every year about it, so they know not to be disappointed.

Fundraisers I do like are bake sales, read or walk a thons, and girl scout cookies. Because I DO want those!