"Our house doesn't feel very fun anymore," my ten year old son informed me a few days ago. I chalked it up to late summer boredom, but agreed, we could always use more fun. He planned a family game day for us. We played Sorry!, Uno, Battleship, and Princess Monopoly (Gracie's choice).
I forgot what it means to sit down together and play games. We don't do it often, usually citing not enough time for a whole game, or that the two year olds will mess the board up as excuses.
Playing games with children often means saying things like, "Who's turn is it?" and "Are you going to roll?" Or "Don't knock the pieces off the board when you roll." And even, "Stop putting the game pieces in your mouth, bending the cards, looking at your brother's cards," etc.
It also means listening to a ten year old talk to the die, and thanking it when he gets a good roll. It means realizing how well your younger ones can count. It means finding out if his only choices of game pieces are princesses, which one your son will choose (Pocahontas 'cause she's and Indian). It means talking and laughing and forgetting for a while that the kids haven't cleaned their rooms and the wet laundry is sitting in the washer beginning to stink. It means good old fashioned fun. Our house did feel a lot more fun. It still feels more fun two days later. I guess playing together bonds just like snuggling, reading, and talking together do.
Perhaps our home really wasn't as fun as it should be, that as summer wore on and I wore out I began to forget one of the most important aspects of any relationship -- taking time to play together.
I guess we need fewer "Movie Nights" in front of the TV and more time gathered around a game board, taking a walk to the park, or playing Frisbee in the yard. I'm glad for the reminder that all work and no play makes our family dull and grumpy.
Thanks bud, lets do it again soon.
Monday, July 31, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I loved this post. It made me realise how much more time I need to spend with my family as well!
Hi MFH, thanks for visiting my blog :)
Great post. It totally made me want to grab a game and play with the family, too bad it's so late, there's always maƱana.
In my case is "all blog and no family play makes our home a geek-fest", sad.
I played badminton for two hours with my son yesterday. It was wonderful.
I love playing games with my kids. It is terribly time consuming and tedious at times, but WELL WORTH the conversations that we have. They are priceless!
I've been trying this week to have more of a fun house. With moving, things have been so crazy and we've been so busy. But, the last few days have been much happier.
Thank you for this reminder!
I think the game we play after our family home evening lesson is my kids favorite part, even more than the treat. Probably because we never play games with them any other time, citing the same excuses you mentioned. It really is a great bonding activity.
Kudos to you for playing games all day long! That's stamina!
Post a Comment