Thursday, June 01, 2006

An Extraordinary Woman

It's funny how a little thing can get your mind rolling. As I was contemplating what to put in my "things I want to do before I die" list for the se7ens meme so many things came to mind. So many things that I had planned to do when I was younger. Exotic things, extraordinary things. Things that not your average run-of-the-mill house wife would do. I always knew I would grow up to be a mom, and hoped I could be a stay at home mom, but still I had big dreams and big plans.

So what happened to those dreams and plans? As time went by I met my sweetheart and we welcomed six beautiful spirits into our home. My idea of exotic and extraordinary shifted as my view of life changed. I still plan, and I still dream, but what I dream and plan for has evolved. I could say it is because my life is not just my life any more. That it is inseparably connected to my children, and that I have a huge responsibility to them that I cannot ignore. This is all true, but it is not all. I made my life this way, and I want it this way. I am one of the lucky ones.

My plans no longer entail traveling the world, performing on a stage, or immersing myself in an exciting career. My dearest hopes and dreams are simple. A golden anniversary with my husband. Children who love each other and cherish their childhood experiences. Children who grow up to be loving, honest, and spiritual people. What more could could I ask for?

Sure, I still have goals that are just for me. I work on them and try to expand my mind and abilities. And occasionally I feel the urge to go out in the world and do something extraordinary. But then I think about what is dearest to my heart and I realize I don't need to do any thing extraordinary anymore. Now I need to be extraordinary. I need to be the mom who is her children's greatest support and advocate. I need to be a listening ear and an open heart. I need to be a teacher and a friend. I need to be a cook, maid, homework corrector, chauffeur, and all the other things moms do. I believe if I try my best to do all these things with grace and love, eventually I will be an extraordinary woman. Perhaps a typical extraordinary woman, but extraordinary none the less.

6 comments:

flip flop mama said...

Nice post. I feel the same way. The world seems measures our success by what we do not who we are. Very well said. Thanks for stopping by mine the other day!

oshee said...

You have made me cry. Yep, I am sniffing and wiping away the stray tears from my cheeks even as I type this. How can you speak my thoughts?? It is seriously uncanny.

I am very grateful you visit my blog and have commented recently during my computer struggles.

I will be doing the meme you tagged me with later this evening as my post for the day. I'm pretty sure anyway. Cuz, well, I have to finish preparing sharing time first.

Thank you.

snowelf said...

MFH,

I gotta tell ya, you absolutly inspire me to be the best mommie to my kids I can be. I never would have considered a "date night" and how important that will be to my chili's later if it weren't for you. Thank you.

The fact that you feel so fullfiled by your family and your choices only shows how very proud and achieved you actually are whether "society" (gag) recognizes it or not.

--snow

Lana said...

Well said, things do change when you become a mom. I hope for those same things.
Thanks for putting it into words so nicely.

Nettie said...

I loved this post! It reflects so many thoughts that I have had myself. Being a great mother really is being an unsung hero in the world, but is the world to your children. Thank you for sharing this!

The Amazing Trips said...

Gosh, I love your blog! I just went back and read through your writings and you are very, very GOOD! I completely agree with what you say re: being an extraordinary woman. When I look back on my life - I know one of the most important questions will be ... how did our children turn out? There is no job more important, than the one I have right now.

Re: brooms for your 2-year old twins... I went out shopping last week with that very purchase in mind. Little brooms. But when I let the kids "demo" them, they were whacking stuff off the shelves and knocking each other in the heads. So.... maybe we'll wait 'til they get a little closer to 2.... :)