I have figured out the reason for one of the most plaguing periods in toddlerhood that we mothers have to endure. I have learned the impetus behind the "Why?" stage. You know, the stage where every sentence ends with a question mark, the one that comes right before the "Can't stop talking and Mom needs to be looking straight at me the whole time I'm saying anything" stage.
Here is the scoop: I was trying to understand my two year old's toddlerese and figure out what is was she wanted when it dawned on me: We mold them for it. Yes, nearly everything we say to these wee little ones is a question.
"Are you hungry, sleepy, hot, cold . . .?"
"Do you want the ball, book, doll, cup, car, super noisy toy that I'm about to rip the batteries out of . . .?"
"Is your diaper poopey?"
"Do you want to go outside, to see Daddy, to the park . . .?"
"Can Mommy read you a story, sing you a song, give you a cuddle . . .?"
You get the idea. They are bombarded with questions. Questions that they can't always answer. Sound familiar? Some may argue that the "Why?" stage is a child's curiosity at it's peak. Curiosity, schmuriousity. I think it's payback.
So now the damage has been done. The twins are at the verge of speaking clearly. One day soon I will relive the days when my oldest boys where two and three. One would ask, "Why?" and after I gave that child what I thought was a satisfactory answer, the other would pipe up, "How come?" This sometimes followed by another, "Why?" It's acomin' and now I know -- it's my own darn fault.
Saturday, June 03, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh yes, the WHY days. My six yr-old has been stuck in them for the past four years. She is constantly curious. I have gotten really really good at the best answer you can give back. (Ok I am good when I remember to be. Sometimes she still irritates me tho..) That great answer to return with??? (You probably already know this of course.)
"Why do you think, sweetie?"
I Love the answers I've gotten back through the years.
This is so true! We train them to do this. I never thought of it like that before!
Do we also train them to fall on the floor kicking and screaming?
Thanks for the insight!
So, that explains it! (And I think Oshee's reply is perfect...)
We are in the WHY stage right now. Oh how I love it. I often ask them why do you think in return just like oshee had said. Works for me.
Post a Comment