Saturday, June 10, 2006

Water Water Every Where

It turns out our flooded back yard was simply a result of miscalculation. It was the first time Hubby had used the timer for our new grass and misjudged how long he should have them on. The sprinklers will now be taking a rest for at least a week.

I was a bit worried about the grass drowning, especially as we just barely forked out the dough and put it in, so I tried several different ways to try and use a hose to siphon some of the water off. My dad taught me how to get a siphon started when I was a kid, but working in three inches of water and not having a surface lower than the grass for it to flow out to was a bit of a problem. In my last ditch effort I tried the "suck on the hose until you get the siphon going" technique. After a mouth full of dirty water and some really sore lips I put the hose away.

I ended up getting the kids out of the house to help me bail the yard out. Using smaller buckets and bowls we began filling up the larger buckets, which I then loaded up into our trusty three wheeled (no, it wasn't made that way) wagon and dragged them out to the storm drain in the front of the house.

I was very impressed with the kids, they had a lot of fun working together, and of course ended up wet. One of the best workers was two year old Timothy who worked very steadily and followed directions exactly. Stark contrast to his twin sister, Tabitha, who wouldn't put a toe outside. She sat on the couch and watched through the sliding glass door the whole time. I hope this is not an omen of things to come.

After about an hour of bailing we decided that Mr. Sunshine could work his magic on the rest. The kids had worked hard and I was proud of them. I suppose only time will tell how the grass will fare!

4 comments:

Undercover Angel said...

It's good that you figured out the source of the problem. I'm glad your kids and Mr. Sunshine were there to help with the clean up! Kids can be a great help sometimes...

The Amazing Trips said...

Oh, what a bummer. I can only imagine the marsh that is your backyard ...

The good news is - a timer on your sprinkler is easy to fix. If there was a cracked line or something else (beneath your new grass) that would have required *accessing* the line - and who knows where (??) - that would have been a HUGE bummer.

I hope the weather was nice for you and the sun is working it's magic on drying up your 'pond'!

The Amazing Trips said...

PS: grass is AMAZINGLY resilient. When we moved in to our house ... my DH thought that he could till 10 cubic yards of soil (essentially, an 8 foot high dirt pile on our driveway), trench our sprinklers and drainage, lay our sprinklers and drainage, and lay our sod ... all in ONE weekend. In September. The sod was dropped off on Saturday morning.

Suffice to say, by Monday, he had finished tilling in the soil. NOT YET EVEN STARTED WITH THE TRENCHING. We both wound up taking the ENTIRE week off of work, because it was about a week salary in sod we had sitting and rotting in our front yard.

We finished laying down the yellowish-brown grass (which was HOT to the touch!) the following weekend. We thought for sure that it would croak. But, it bounced back and is absolutely beautiful. Lush and green, just like a lawn should be.

Ever since then - when my husband says he's going to do something in X amount of time, I know to multiply that time by 10. LOL!!!

Gina said...

Wow, what an ordeal! A lot of work for all of you! And the siphoning... sorry that didn't work out after trying so hard.

I love the name Tabitha!