Saturday, July 15, 2006

In Which You Begin to Think I am Cheap

Once in a while our mortgage payment and car payment fall in the same paycheck. This puts a damper on a lot of things for us for about two weeks until we get paid again. I hate dipping into our savings account because, well, then we aren't saving, are we?

unfortunately this happened this week, and it was also the week of Gracie's fifth birthday. She was finally going to have her first "friend" party, and it couldn't be delayed because her Dad was leaving to go out of town for ten days. And we all know that it is hard enough to wait for your birthday to come, let alone waiting ten more days.

Her birthday wishes this year were beads and stuffed animals. Grandma took care of the stuffed animal request, and I set out to find beads for her birthday, plus beads for her friends to make bracelets out of at her party (all she wanted for her party was to make bracelets and have balloons).

I ended up at Michaels and found these great bead sets on sale for $1.50!!!! I could not believe it - I went and looked at the bigger sets there and at Target that cost $10.00-$19.00 and figured that the beads in the cheap sets were just as cute so I bought three of the cheap sets and got way more beads for her than if I had bought one of the more expensive sets. Plus I bought two more sets for her friends to use at the party.

Then with careful shopping and some creativity on my part, I was able to put together the whole party (attended by 12 kids and three toddlers) for just over $35.00. I can't believe it myself. I've never given my kids huge parties with bounce houses and all that, but a whole party for $35.00? I felt guilty.

Here is the breakdown:

Gift - 4.50
Beads and supplies for bracelets- 5.96
Cake (2 mixes, margarine and sugar for frosting - creatively and slightly dorkily decorated like a butterfly by me) - 3.52
Ice cream- 5.08
balloons- 1.47
Kool Aid- .40
Plates, forks, and cups (used napkins I already had)-3.00
Gifts for 12 guests- 10.68

Total: 35.23 (plus tax)

The gifts for the guests had a little note on them that I just printed up off the computer on some pink paper. They said,

"Thanks for sharing in my birthday,
it was fun to play with you!
Here are a few treats
so you can party too!"

Inside was a mini soda can, a mini popcorn bag, some smarties, and a balloon all inside a plastic bowl (four for $1.00 at the Dollar Tree) with some pink and white tissue paper, wrapped in cellophane that I had left over from Christmas.

I bought the beads at Michaels, but everything else was purchased at Wal Mart or the Dollar Tree.

Despite the cheapness of the party, Gracie loved it. She and her friends had a really fun time with lots of giggles and excitement. I was so thankful and relieved.

Just so you know, I think Gracie is worth a lot more than a $35.23 party. She is a sweet and loving girl that makes me laugh every day. I would give her the world if I could.

6 comments:

utmommy said...

I don't think you're cheap at all. We just had M's 7th birthday party today. I too went to the Dollar Tree and got all the party favors for $17.00. I'm not sure how much I spent on cake & frosting, but it wasn't much. She wanted to do pedicures, which we did and used nail polish that I already had. So, the party cost less than yours. Although her present wasn't included in that price. We got her a CD player that was only $25. If you can make it work on a small budget and everyone has fun I see no problem in that at all.

Beck said...

That's not cheap, that's smart! We spent waaaay too much money on my daughter's birthday party, and frankly, it didn't sound as nice as your daughter's... careful planning counts for a lot.

Anonymous said...

You are an inspiration. I am on a fixed income and have had to seriously scale back the kids b-day parties. Not that they were ever grand, just at home parties.

I'm going to steal some of your tricks for my youngest 5th next March. The older girls turn 14 and 12 in Oct. I think that's too old for b-day parties, don't you?

Nettie said...

Wow, good job! I've always thought that it wasn't the money you spend, but the memories you make that count anyways!

The Amazing Trips said...

Awesome - good for you. Sounds like a great party and so what if it cost you $35.23?? Gracie doesn't know that. As far as she's concerned - she had a great time, doing great stuff with good friends. That's all that matters. But bravo to YOU for the savvy cost savings!! :)

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

I'm with everyone else - if she had a great time with her friends, that's all that counts.