Yesterday I saw Halloween decorations in Michaels. The Fourth of July has come and gone. Oriental Trading Company has their holiday catalogue out. Do you know what all this means?
IT MEANS I AM BEHIND ON MY CHRISTMAS SHOPPING!!!!!!
You probably think I am crazy, but if you saw me a week before Christmas during a year that I did not start planning ahead for the big day six months ahead of time, then you would truly see crazy.
Not only is it financially difficult to buy all the Christmas gifts, craft supplies, Christmas cards, stamps, ingredients for baking, etc. all in Nov. and Dec., it is physically exhausting. Seriously, one year I am going to be so prepared for Christmas I will really, really enjoy the season. I might even get through a year without saying: I hate Christmas. Yes, I am bah humbug enough to say that now and again. It's not that I hate Christmastime or celebrating the birth of Christ, there is a lot of beauty, love, and service in the season. I just hate being so stressed out about what I have to buy, sew, bake, etc. that it takes the joy out of everything. I know Christ does not intend for us to be grumpy as we celebrate His birthday.
So July is the month I begin to plan, make small purchases, come up with cute and witty ideas for small gifts for the neighbors etc. I get Christmas into my brain so when I see a good deal on something I can get it ahead of time. Of course there are a lot of things I can't do too far in advance. Buying the kid's big gifts too early is a no no, they are bound to change their minds.
Today I made a visit to the Fly Lady. I do that every once in a while for a little inspiration. Today I went to the control journal section on the table of contents and printed out a few replacement pages for my holiday control journal. I went through the OTC catalogue looking for stocking stuffers. It has begun. You just watch, I'll be done by Dec. 1. I will spend Dec. enjoying cookie baking with my kids, staying out late at parties because I don't have to make a late night Wal Mart run afterwards, and volunteering for my kids school party, 'cause what else will I have to do?
A girl can dream, can't she?
Wednesday, July 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
As I was telling Nellie ... I started my Christmas shopping when I recently bought 10 butter crocks that she had posted about on her blog. That's the first time EVER I've bought something, for Christmas, before Thanksgiving. I can't imagine, ever, having my act together in any shape or fashion, such that all my shopping was done before December.
It would be nice, though. :)
Wow, I am really impressed. Think I'll get a jump start this year too. Thanks for the inspiration!
I went to Roberts today and they have Christmas stuff out, crazy. I hope to be prepared this year. Last year I actually was ready by Thanksgiving. This was a first, but I kind of had to be, because I was a having a hysterectomy the week before Thanksgiving. But, it was so nice to be done and able to enjoy the holidays, and recover for that matter.
Ah, Christmas...I totally understand. I will make my goal December 1st too, okay? So we can motivate each other. ;) Like a pact. And thanks Momxtwo I've never used layaway before, maybe I should. I never even considered it (cause I usually start shopping so late.)
AND, My daughter's b-day is the 7th and it totally sucks. I usually put off her party til January just so people can come and she can have a nicer party.
Thanks for the inspiration to me as well!! :)
That is great. I try to start early, but I always have atleast one person left in Dec. that is so hard to buy for. I'm doing a lot of it online this year.
Post a Comment