Friday, May 09, 2008

Mother's Day Gifts

I read a post on yahoo that listed the five worst gifts you could give on Mothers day. It had a beautiful picture of one of these:


and claimed any appliance should not be given as a gift on this ever so sacred day honoring mom. Frankly, anything that will make my life easier or more pleasant as I go about my day being a mom is something that I would love. I have taught my husband, who originally balked at the idea of buying me appliances as gifts, that something I use is something I love. In spite of his coworkers warnings about ending up in the dog house for these kinds of gifts, I have received electric skillets, extra large crock pots, wheat grinders, etc. for birthdays and anniversaries. A few years into our marriage, when cordless phones were not common, all I wanted for my birthday was an extra long cord for my phone so I could reach the fridge at one end of the kitchen, the high chair at the other, and peek around the corner to see what was going on in the other parts of the house. I don't remember anything else I received that year, except that I got that cord. And I was happy.

I guess it would be different if I just went out and bought these things for myself, but I don't. I make do as long as possible. I also suppose if it were something that was broken and we were going to replace it anyway, that would be kind of a let down.
I may feel differently when I am in another stage of my life, when I don't spend the majority of my time trying to keep the household running smoothly. If there will ever be such a time:)

I recently read in the Cricket magazine (for kids) a little article about how Mother's Day was created. Surprise - it wasn't invented by Hallmark! A woman who wished to honor her mother and all mothers for their hard work and sacrifice petitioned the government to have the second Sunday in May be a special day to honor mothers. Later in her life she became angry and disappointed as she saw the commercialization of Mother's Day growing. (I wonder what she thought of Christmas!) I don't care if I receive anything by way of gifts this year. Sleeping in, not having to cook dinner, and having a houseful of kids that behave "perfectly" for one day would be plenty.

2 comments:

Nettie said...

I guess I am of the same opinion you are. I really want a Nutrimill for Mother's day. Although occassionally something beautiful and totally frivolous is a nice gift, too. Cause I don't buy things like that either.

Hope you like what you get for Mother's day!

Jeanette said...

I got my Kitchenaid for my birthday last year. I'd much rather have that than jewelry or flowers that will just wilt and die. I'd been wanting that mixer for soo many years, it was the perfect gift! Like you, I like practical things that I can use.
Just found your blog while I was bloghoping today. :-)