Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Reclaiming My Room

I don't remember ever playing in my parents' bedroom. It wasn't that is was strictly off limits. We were allowed to go in there. I remember laying on the bed with my mother as a small child, drifting in and out of sleep, listening to her heartbeat. I remember sitting on the bed as my father showed me treasures from his childhood he safely stored in there. My siblings and I went in and out to use the master bathroom, to get something, to put something away. But we never played in there. And it was always clean. The room had a sense of relaxation about it, of privacy. It was nothing like the master bedroom at my house.

Maybe this is because our bedroom doubles as a computer room, library, and sometimes even amusement park for the kids. We only have two bathrooms, so kids are tromping through to use the master bath quite often. Our room also seems to be a dumping ground for a lot of stuff we are going to get around to organizing and putting away. Needless to say it is not the serene place of escape and relaxation I dream it should be.

In preparation for summer, when I will need a place of refuge, I cleaned out the master bedroom today. I put all the books back on the shelves and told them to stop jumping off onto the floor and scuttling under the bed. I took the growing stack of items to be donated out the the garage and told it under no circumstances was it to migrate back into the house. I picked up school notes and papers and said, "The school year is OVER! GOODBYE!" I gathered the pictures, awards, etc. that have been waiting to be scrapbooked and whispered softly, "Don't worry, I'll get back to you soon," as I placed them in the closet. I cleared the desk of all unnecessary debris, I vacuumed, I dusted (even the blinds) and I apologized to my room for a long season of neglect. I "feels" so much nicer in here now. If only I could add a study onto my house and move out the computer and bookshelves!!!
Summer Vacation Countdown:
Reasons I Can't Wait For Summer
#6 Spending time away from the house. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in the things I need to do at home I put off spending time with the kids. I am just too distracted by the pile of laundry or the dirty dishes or the bathroom that smells like urine. It is nice to have the time to take a break and get away from all the distractions, even if only for an afternoon, and concentrate more on being with the kids and having fun together.
Four more days 'till summer!

6 comments:

Lana said...

our room is not a refuge at all. GOod luck keeping yours that way, maybe I'll try and join you :)

Anonymous said...

Wow...our kids go to school until June 23ed. We have five weeks to go yet! We start back on September 4 I think. How about you?

Oue computer is in our room too. I do like it there so I know what's going on.

Enjoy your upcoming holidays!

Jeanette said...

Yeah, we never went in my parents room when I was growing up but my room seems to be a popular hang out spot at my home. It's ok though, I kinda like it (most of the time).
I am loving your countdown to summer posts. So fun!

Ballerina Girl said...

Sounds similar PJ! Our bed is always the best to jump on, the tv to watch, the pillow fight room....AGH!
I try every morning to make it nice and no doubt by the end of the evening, right when we are really ready to lay our heads down to sleep and dream....wait, gotta fix the sheets, put the pillowcases back on, etc etc!
:) though I wouldn't exchange it for anything in the world!
BG

I have a good life said...

Love, love, love your blog. My room is more of a dumping ground than a refuge...so you've inspired me. Something I've been meaning to do...we'll see if I get to it! :)

Gabriela said...

LOL. I am always trying to get my boys to stop jumping off our headboard. It's hopeless.