Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Breaking the News. . .

I tried to put it off as long as I could, just in case Tim's blanket turned up in the laundry or stuffed in a pillow case or jammed between the seats in the van, but the time finally came. Once again he asked for his blanket. The one I am sure is now in some vast lost and found pile in the hotel we stayed at, or on the ground, blackened by asphalt after falling unnoticed out of the van at a rest stop. The one that I lovingly patched up for him just a few days before our trip. I had to confess that it had been left behind, and we were not likely to get it back. His chin wrinkled as his mouth pulled into a little frown and I could see a hint of tears in his eyes as he looked up at me. He looked thoughtful and remembered that he has another blanket that he doesn't use as much and said, "But I still have my car blanket, right?" What a little trooper.

The older kids felt his pain and pulled fabric out of the scrap box and began to sew him a new blanket. They each started working on a separate square to sew together into one quilt. They thought it would be a good idea for them to make felt people that looked like them on their squares so Tim would know who made each one. I'll be surprised if it ever gets fully finished, but I think it is such a sweet thing they are doing for him!

4 comments:

I have a good life said...

That is the sweetest thing ever! How compassionate of your children. I guess that loss is a part of life that we all have to deal with...too bad your son has to learn right now with his blanket. Looks like you are raising an optimist, though! :)

Ballerina Girl said...

how sweet! great kids you have!

Jeanette said...

Awww. I m sad that he lost his blanket but super sweet to see your other kids coming together to make him a new one.

Dianna said...

What wonderful children!