
I don't remember my Dad getting a professional haircut. Ever. My mother mastered the technique and to this day still cuts my father's hair. She knows one hair style, and that's the one she gives my dad and gave my brothers until they were old enough to protest.
I watched her many times giving hair cuts to my dad and brothers on a stool in the middle of the kitchen. I figured I could do it too, and my soon to be husband was brave enough to be a Guinea pig.
I watched her many times giving hair cuts to my dad and brothers on a stool in the middle of the kitchen. I figured I could do it too, and my soon to be husband was brave enough to be a Guinea pig.
Now, before you look at this first hair cut I did on my DH while we were dating, I must tell you I did NOT give him a bowl cut, or a step, or whatever you may want to call the style.
I'll admit it wasn't beauty school quality, but for a girl who learned by watching her mother (who had never been to hair college), and whose only hair cutting experience was cutting chunks of hair from her own head behind the couch as a small child, it wasn't so bad. My blending techniques left a little to be desired, but I was pleased with the cut and thought George could still go out in public when I was finished with him.
I'll admit it wasn't beauty school quality, but for a girl who learned by watching her mother (who had never been to hair college), and whose only hair cutting experience was cutting chunks of hair from her own head behind the couch as a small child, it wasn't so bad. My blending techniques left a little to be desired, but I was pleased with the cut and thought George could still go out in public when I was finished with him.
However, a friend of his (who is never to be forgiven) thought I was trying to give him the look below, with a line across the back of his head from temple to temple, and "fixed" it for him. I was mortified, mostly that George thought it was bad enough to need fixing, and that he let his friend fix it for him! I promise it looked better before his buddy took the clippers to his head.
So here is the picture circa 1994:
And here is the haircut I am giving him fourteen years later, notice how he isn't half bald?
6 comments:
Haircuts! This was funny. You do a great job...and he has great hair too. I think you gave me inspiration for my post today.
I am not even close to as good as you...
What that is pretty dang good work!
He looks great!
I cut Guapo's hair.
once.
(from your Father's Day post: your husband was called to be a bishop when your twins were 2??? Wow. My hat's off to both of you.)
I like the flashbacks...how fun to go back and see all that memory lane stuff!
Great haircuts, the first and the second picutre!
BG
I cried the first time I gave my soon to be husband his first Kristine haircut. I now cut that same style your mom did on all of my boys every six or so week. My DH has lost most of his hair now,and just shaves it all off every 3 weeks or so...Thanks for coming back to my blog! I had you bookmarked for a LONG time...and then finally stopped checking your blog...my DH has one more year in his Master's degree...and isn't the Bishop (whew!), and it's hard around here. I'd love to stay in touch...my e-mail addy is pnkjohn@yahoo.com if you'd like to contact me via that way...or the blog is fine too!
I cut my husbands hair a few times after we were married. He wanted me to do it because his mother had always done it. It was too stressful for me so I started sending him to a barber.
Post a Comment