Saturday, June 28, 2008

Homeward Bound

Tonight is Road Trip Eve at our house. We are all wrapped up in packing, organizing, cleaning, and anticipation. Amidst putting together snack bags for the kids, gathering coloring books, crayons and whatever I can think of to keep the kids occupied, doing laundry and packing suitcases, making lists and checking them twice, I have found a minute to update my blog.

The kids are at last in bed with visions of seeing Grandma and Grandpa dancing in their heads. Soon I will be doing the same. I look forward to this trip as much as the kids. I get to go to the home I grew up in, sleep in my old room, walk in my old neighborhood, and most importantly spend time with family, many of whom I only see once a year. It's refreshing to be under my parents roof.

The neighborhood has changed a little, the high school I went to has new buildings, the city has changed drastically (it wasn't even a city when I moved away!), and even my parents' house has undergone some renovation, but home has not changed. Even though I am now grown and am in the role of caretaker for my own children, the nurturing love of my parents is still very apparent. I love that even though I am now in charge of my kids and my "life" I still feel safe and watched over when I am there. I feel safe and watched over by my husband and am well cared for in his love as well, but it is a different parent-child kind of safety that I feel at "home."

So wish me luck, we will be on the road for about 12 hours. I'll check back when I am safely snuggled into my favorite chair in the home of my childhood.

3 comments:

Ballerina Girl said...

have a wonderful trip. I am basking in the home of my childhood right now also. I also love it!
Safe travels
BG

Anonymous said...

Enjoy yourselves! Those are precious times for you and your family.

Gabriela said...

Good luck with the drive.

I know EXACTLY what you mean about going home. I'm loving it right now. I sat and cried last night thinking about how I would feel if they didn't still have the house I grew up in (ok, so I'm a little over tired overtired because Pedro doesn't love sleeping here as much as I do!).

Enjoy it!