Friday, June 27, 2008

Brothers


I am feeling a little nostalgic tonight for Jacob and Jeremy. They have been out of state with their grandparents for five days, and I miss them.

When Jeremy was about seven months old, I looked at him and worried. He was getting so big, growing up so fast. "We need to have another one!" I told George. Ten months later Jacob was born.

I think having the two of them close together is the best thing I ever did for them. I don't remember even a bit of jealousy between the two. Jeremy fell into place being a great brother right from the beginning. When Grandma came over with a baby she was tending Jeremy ran over to Jacob's bassinet and pointed excitedly to show that he had a baby too.

He was a good helper and a good boy when Jacob was a baby, and has always been a loving big brother. Jeremy was great entertainment for Jacob. Jacob loved to watch Jeremy play and was soon playing right along side of him. When they were little they shared the same interests, mainly trains (below they are studying a toy train catalog), and they did just about everything together.


Below:Playing in the flour, back when I was a nice
mom and let them get away with that kind of stuff.


As they have grown (they are now 11 and 12), some of their interests have begun to differ, but what I love about them is that they listen to each other talk about what they are interested in. When one of them gets to participate in an activity the other does not, in school, scouts,etc., they come home and eagerly tell the other all about it.

Occasionally one of them will ask if they are ever going to be able to have their own room, and sometimes I wish I could give each of my kids a little more space of their own. But then I hear these two boys laughing and talking way past the hour when they should be asleep, and I wonder what would be the point? They would just be in each other's room all the time anyway.


Once the two of them asked me if I knew where they wanted to live when they grew up. "Where?" I asked. "It doesn't matter, as long as we live next door to each other," was the reply.


I am so thankful for the sweet relationship that these brothers have and hope that it will continue throughout their lives. And I hope I can live on the same street as them too ;).

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

What a sweet post! I love watching my son interact with his baby sister. he just loves her so much and is always wanting to help me with her and play with her. (I am going to have to stop calling her a baby soon. She is almost 1.)
I love that first picture. It is so cute!

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful relationship between brothers. I feel a little bit sad that our oldest only has sisters...