Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Seperation Anxiety

My oldest son has been gone for three days now. I have notice a difference not having him home, just a little less laundry, an empty seat at the dinner table, his just younger brother being a little lonely -- but today I really started to MISS him. I think it is partly because I started to worry about him last night. He has great leaders who know his personality well and that was comforting to me when I sent him off to Scout Camp. But today was the day they were going to take a ten mile hike into and back out of the Grand Canyon. He seems to enjoy hiking to a point, a point that is not usually very far down the trail. We do a bit of hiking as a family, but never too much because of the short legged four year old people that can't go on forever. The longest hike he's been on is the three miler they do in eleven year old scouts. AND he is terrified of heights. That can't be helpful when hiking in the Grand Canyon. So I've been a bit worried about him all day, hoping he was able to be brave and his leaders and the other boys were patient.

Sigh.

It would be so nice to know how it went!!!! And if he is eating okay and if he is warm enough at night and if he likes doing the merit badges he signed up for and if it rained there like it rained here and if he stayed dry and if he really did pack enough underwear and if he is changing that underwear . . . I guess that's why they don't let moms go up to Scout Camp. My worrying and fussing would ruin the whole experience.

5 comments:

Gina said...

Yeah the worrying and fussing has to be left at home and it's just not fair to the moms. I wish you could call him and check on him. I'd be a wreck too.

I have a good life said...

That's what moms do, right? Worry! I know he will be okay, but I also know that you wouldn't be such an awesome mom if you didn't worry. He'll be home, laughing, stinky, sweaty, dirty, and telling you ALL about it! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's hard.

He's probably fine--they can really step up to challenges when they are with their peers!

I read somewhere recently that the mom's need to stop hovering over their boys because they need to start feeling independent. That is not easy for me! I'm exactly the same with our 11 year old son.

Ballerina Girl said...

you wouldn't be called mom if you didn't worry! it is hard to let go....even if for just a little bit!
I hope he enjoys his experience, and don't forget, they always do what they are supposed when mom and dad are not there!
I am sure 10 miles was done without too much complaining!
BG

Jeanette said...

I love that you are (were) worried and wondering how your son was doing and that you missed having him around. I think it shows what a great mom you are.