Sunday, June 15, 2008

It is always fun to look back and see how far we have come in our lives together. My DH, George, and I have been married for 13 and a half years. Our first son, Jeremy came six days before our first anniversary, and before our 10th anniversary we had welcomed all six of our children into our family. It was a very busy ten years. We are still incredibly busy, but at least now we have more of life's experiences to guide us and a different perspective on a lot of things. Sometimes I wonder how we did it -- how we managed to take care of these little babies when we were so young and naive. I honestly didn't know what I was getting into when I became pregnant at 19. I wonder if George had any better idea than I did. If he was nervous or stressed about becoming a father he really didn't show it. He has always been a guy that just keeps going, no matter if life is hard or easy. Once he is committed to something he sees it through. And he is definitely committed to being a father.
With our First Son


We decided that the best thing for our family was for me to be a sahm while he was the bread winner. It sounds easy, but when our first, second, and third children were born he was still in school. Keeping me home with the children meant he not only went to school full time, but also worked full time. Some days, when Jeremy was a baby, George would have to leave the house before Jeremy woke up and wouldn't get home until after he was asleep. On nights when he got home late, George would sneak into his room, gently pick Jeremy up from his crib, and cuddle his little boy for a few moments before tucking him back in.

With our Second Son
George always helped with the feedings and would give babies midnight bottles or early morning morning feedings so I could get a good chunk of sleep in. When our second son was about three months old we both had to step it up a notch because he developed asthma and we had to give him breathing treatments every four hours around the clock for what seemed like months. George was great with helping Jacob with his treatments, feedings, and helping with Jeremy who was now about two years old. I always felt like I had his total support during this stressful time when I was so worried about my child's heath.

With our First Daughter (our third child)

(working on the computer during his college years)
George has the same diaper changing record as me, although I am sure I have changed many more diapers than him, just because of the fact that I am home more, we both survived over twelve consecutive years of having kids in diapers, twice we had three children in diapers at one time. Yes, he deserves a medal for all the stinky and yucky things he has taken care of during the raising of our children thus far, not just limited to dirty diapers. He's pretty good at cleaning up spots (read poop, pee, barf) from the carpet, and I had to laugh one day when one of the twins had a bowel movement in the tub and he just scooped it out with his hand. Even their mother would have gotten a cup.


With our Second Daughter (fourth child)


When Tim and Tab were born George and I used the "divide and conquer" method quite often. We found that what worked best for us at night was for one of us each to take care of an infant. One slept on George's side of the room and the other on mine. He took care of one infant full time during the nights, giving bottles, changing diapers if needed, and then got up and went to work. It wasn't easy, and I know he was a very tired man for the better part of a year, but I don't know how I could have managed to do feedings for both babies and have enough energy to take care of them and the four older ones during the day. I will forever sing his praises. Oh, and he helped out after work too.


With our Third Son and Third Daughter (children five and six)


George graduated with his Bachelor's degree when our third child was less than a year old. We were so happy. We thought freedom was here at last. However these last two years have been extremely challenging as well. George was called to be the bishop of our ward when the twins were two years old, and at the same time started working on his Masters Degree. Oh, and still working full time. We both felt he shouldn't put off his educational goal any longer, even though it meant a great deal of sacrifice for the whole family. His time at home has been very limited for the past (almost) two years, and I know he worries about the strain it puts on me to care for the kids in his absence. Even though he is often tired when he is home, he always tries to ease the strain when I am at the end of my rope. He cooks dinners when I am too tired, he helps kids with homework, he cleans and is always recruiting the kids to fold the piles of clean laundry that grow on our couch. And for some reason he ALWAYS lets me sleep in on Saturday mornings. The kids love the "dates" he takes them on, and even more love to rough house with him.
What more can I say about such a great and supportive man? Actually, a lot more, but this post is getting a little long.


George, I LOVE YOU. Happy Father's Day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. He is a keeper! We too are blessed with a wonderful husband and daddy. What a blessing!!

I especially love how calm your husband looks, even after more kids are born...I think mine would look a little more stressed!