Every other Thursday is kid date night. My husband and I take turns taking out one of the kids. They can't wait for their turn and ask weeks in advance when their next "date" is. I love this little tradition, it gives us some special time with each of our kids to talk and just have fun. I've learned some interesting things along the way, like my nine year old plans on having two kids, not six like our family, so that his kids can have their own rooms and it won't be so noisy. I think he was subconsciously asking for a little more personal space.
This week was Gracie's (age 4) turn. She chose dinner at McDonald's, and it was my turn to take her. We stayed for almost two hours. I tried to stretch eating my Chicken Selects and fries out as long as possible while she ate a bite of her Happy Meal, ran and played, ate a bite, ran and played, yelling for me to look at her every twenty seconds. Usually I make the kids eat all their food and then they can play, but it was her night to be spoiled. One of her friends showed up just as we were about to leave so I had to get a McFlurry so I'd have something to do while they played for another twenty minutes.
On another note:
Tonight My husband watched me as I figured out how to remove toilet paper from down inside a bud vase. "You're so resourceful," he commented.
I, being frustrated with my kids who couldn't seem to figure out how to clean their rooms said, "I wish I could teach it to my kids!" (Being resourceful, not getting toilet paper out of a bud vase)
"Are you serious?" he said,"Our kids can make anything out of masking tape and drinking straws!"
He's right. If the kids need something they don't have, they figure out a way to make it. Need a kite? Grab some sticks, paper and string. A windsock? Use a plastic grocery bag. Bat ears to go with your Halloween costume? Don't wait for mom to make you some, grab the scissors and construction paper. Not enough fish in the aquarium? Draw some and tape them to the back. Yep, little MacGuyvers I'm raising here.
Thursday, May 25, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
More fish....rofl!!
I totally agree...that was truly a McFlurry emergency!
--snow
Date night sounds fun!! We started that with our kids, but got real lazy about it. They ask us all the time, when they get to go a new date. I guess it's time to start back up. They love it!!
What great parents! Making sure your kids get one on one time with a parent is such a great family tradition.
So, how did you get the tp out?
Nettie - I filled the vase up with water so the tp would have some weight in it, then shook it out over the sink.
Seriously smart kiddos!
We used to go on dates with our parents too! That is the best idea EVER! I want to do it with my child(ren) too!
Post a Comment