Friday, May 26, 2006

Magical Main Dishes

Tonight's Dinner Rating: 5 cleaned their plates, 2 nibbled, and 1 rejected.
Verbal complaints: 0
Success? Yes! This is about as close as I ever get to pleasing everyone!
The magical main dish: Hawaiian Haystacks (white rice covered with chicken and gravy, topped with shredded cheese, pineapple chunks, and those crunchy chow main noodles.)

Other Magical Main dishes:
Potato Bar - baked potatoes with chili, cheese, and other toppings
Pot Roast
Spaghetti
Baked Ham
Hoagie Sandwiches
Bar-b-qued chicken
Pizza (duh)
Spam, or anything containing processed meat

My children's tastes have not quite matured yet. I try to sprinkle in the dishes the kids will eat in between the "good" food that my husband and I like. On nights when I know not many of the kids will eat my main dish I make sure there are a couple of sides they like, usually lots of fruit and rolls. You can't please everyone all the time . . .

6 comments:

Lana said...

great ideas. food that gets the kids stamp of approval is hard to come by!

utmommy said...

Hawaiian Haystacks, Yummy!! I haven't had those for a while, but they are also one of my kids favorite. I think you just solved the dinner mystery for tonight!! Thanks.

Nettie said...

I know how hard it is to please everyone all the time. I am happy if some are happy most of the time. I'm always amazed to hear of people who make an alternative for their children if they don't like what is being served. We always serve the same two things: "take it" or "leave it"!

Momma G said...

potato bar sounds fun, count me in!

Gina said...

Wow you've got it down to a science! Congrads on your star dishes!

I liked Nettie's comment on her two courses... Ha!

Nettie said...

Hello, again! I hope you are having a great week-end. I just tagged you for a meme. There's no pressure to play, but I'd love it if you did. Please visit me for the details.