Really all I want for Mother's Day is one simple thing. Okay, it's not so simple. If it was, I wouldn't be wishing for it. All I want is a clean house. For one day. A house without toothpaste in the sink, cold cereal all over the table, Legos scattered throughout the house and the piles of school papers, magazines, and mail that grow like fungus on the kitchen counters. No dirty dishes sitting in the sink, laundry moldering in the baskets, or Kool Aid on the kitchen floor.
And yet, I will not ask for this impossible task because to completely remove the mess means
a) I have to do a lot of work the day before Mother's day
b) a great deal of stress would be placed on my husband and children to get/keep the house clean for one day and
c) removing the reasons for most of the mess from the house for the day, which are ironically the very reasons why I can celebrate being a mother.
Partially in self defense I have come to the conclusion that Mother's Day, Father's Day, Birthdays, and all such occasions are for the intent of making the celebrated person feel special, but not at the expense of the rest of the family. Gone are the days when I felt entitled to be relieved from all chores and duties. I'm the Mom now. I will save myself the frustration and disappointment that comes from expecting to be waited on hand and foot. I will enjoy the little acts of service my children do for me. I will gush over their drawings and cards and funny little presents they make for me. I will relax a little and allow myself to be pampered by my husband (he is good to me), but I will still be the Mom.
Wednesday, May 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment