Finally a minute to update my blog. Actually that's not totally accurate. I had to take a little break from relaxing :) and drag myself over to the computer. Things are just as I expected them to be here at my parents' home.
Mom and Dad took great care of my two oldest boys and they had lots to tell us about their adventures when we arrived. (They flew out with my Mom a week ahead of us). It was so sweet to see them hugging their younger siblings and telling them how much they missed them! I think Jeremy got in a week's worth of playing with Timothy in one afternoon. We have relaxed our TV and video game rules while here, and I think all the kids have gotten in about a month's worth of "screen time." I feel a little guilty about it, but we're on vacation and when we are ready for a break after an activity or at the end of the day it helps the kids wind down. I'm sure they will have a few brain cells left when we get home!!!
Tabitha loved her Cheetos during a picnic.
One thing I love about being here, besides being with family I don't see often, is that my parents are always doing things that remind me how much I love learning and creating. My father is an amazing woodworker/wood turner and is always winning awards and contests with his pieces. He is also taking photography classes at the local junior collage. My mom is a high school French teacher who loves her job and continues to improve her abilities to teach and her knowledge of the language.
I grew up in an environment when one or the other of my parents was always working on some project and encouraging me with mine. My mom seemed to me to be the Jane of all Crafts. Mostly she did sewing and needle crafts with an occasional dabble in tole painting or ceramics. My Dad had an MGA (a car) that he restored as well as doing woodworking, and even making stained glass lamps for our home at one point. I have fond memories of sitting out in the garage watching him do various activities: working on the car, building something, even refilling shotgun (? I think that's what they were) shells. He always had time to explain to a little girl what he was up to. I also have fond memories sitting in the sewing room while my mom sewed and stitching on my little Hollie Hobbie sewing machine.
Gracie with one of the many things my dad has made, a miniature tribuchet (sp? it is pronounced trib-you-shey but the kids call it a tribucket. I would have called it a catapult) that launches golf balls.
I guess what I am trying to say is that when I am in my parents home I not only feel loved, but also a little smarter. Thinking about all the things I did growing up and learned while under this roof with their encouragement reminds me how much I love to learn and how I've let that get away from me a little bit as a busy adult. It also renews in me my desire to help my own children learn more about what they are interested in and develop their talents.
No comments:
Post a Comment