For crying out loud, it's JULY. You know what all this means, don't you? It means it is time to start Christmas shopping!!!!
Seriously, although Christmas is a beautiful season and I love all that it represents and all the little miracles and acts of love and family togetherness it brings, it is THE most stressful time of the year for me.
My cue to get started on material aspects of Christmas is when I see the back to school stuff on sale. If I don't have at least some stocking stuffers by the end of August I feel like I am behind already. If I am planing on making anything, I'd better get it in the works soon.
I made my first purchase three days ago and pulled out my Holiday Binder to start keeping track of what I have already bought, what I need to buy, etc. I think I also I need to put in a key to where I hide everything. It would be such a disaster if the kids ever got a hold of this book!
I use a few pages from the Fly Lady's Holiday Control Journal. I have found that I don't use the whole thing but I have found a few pages indispensable:
-Dates to put on your calendar (shipping deadlines!!!)
-Holiday gift list: a list of who you need to buy for and what, with places to check if it has been bought wrapped, shipped,etc.
-Holiday gift list of things to make: pretty much same as other list, both have places to write down how much you spend so you don't "accidentally" go over budget.
-Catalog orders checklist: keep track of all those online purchases and check off when they arrive!
-A page in the back of the binder where I tape envelopes to keep receipts in.
Things few things I added:
-A list of people to send Christmas cards to (that I pretty much never get to)
-Holiday crafts ideas an recipes I come across over the holidays and might
want to use for the next year.
-And most importantly: Our Christmas Budget Outline where I have determined how much we can spend on different items: tree, decor, presents for the kids, extended family gifts, office gifts, etc.
I have used this strategy for several years and it helps me stay organised and mostly sane until January.
In July and August I start thinking about stocking stuffers (I always grab a bunch of the school supplies while they're cheap: crayons, colored pencils, etc.) and small gifts to stock up on, like teacher gifts, stuff for the kids to exchange at school etc. I don't usually buy my kids the larger gifts until November at the earliest because their tastes and interests change quickly.
If I could get something together for my husband's coworkers before the end of September I would be in heaven! I hate trying to come up with something cute and affordable to give out that expresses our appreciation for them. If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful!!! Last year we gave out clear glass ornaments (the kind you get at craft stores) with sand and seashells in the bottom and a tag that said, "When you see this ornament on the tree, remember the man who walked in Galilee". I had that one planned a year ahead. This year, nothin'.
It is a little overwhelming to me just thinking about everything that goes into Christmas. But, if I can get all the shopping done in a calm, organized, timely manner, I will be able to enjoy the season with my family. Seriously, though, who Else's birthday deserves so much planning? :)
4 comments:
me too, Christmas has been on my mind and I hate to be behind.
It also is kind of annoying that it starts so soon. Where are the bathing suits for sale? The summer stuff??
Not yet. Until I read this post Christmas had not even entered my thoughts. Not until summer is over. Can't do it! :-)
Wow, you are on top of things. I still haven't sent out birthday cards for people this summer! :) It is good to plan ahead so you don't get too stressed out.
I just came across your blog and I also shop early for Christmas. I like your idea of school supplies for extra stocking stuffers. I also buy lots of crayons for cheap now and use them during the year for goodie bags for preschool and also for birthday goodie bags for our December baby! Makes wonderful add ons to birthday gifts during the year also.
Post a Comment