Following a long tradition of woman sweating over a hot iron, tonight I must tackle my ironing pile, smoothing out the wrinkles in the clothes my husband works in to support our family, and smoothing out some wrinkles in my mind.
I do not have an affinity for ironing. It is usually last on my list of chores (too often I find my husband has had to quickly iron a shirt before heading off to work). As a child my mother paid me something like 5 cents a shirt to iron my father's collared shirts. Even then I would cheat by tucking one shirt inside of another and doing two at a time.But I have found if I can iron when the kids are busy playing and I have few interruptions, it is a great thinking chore. Meaning it doesn't take a lot of brain power to iron so my mind is free to work over a problem or plan dinner or just daydream. In fact, I find a lot of chores are like that: folding laundry, mopping, gardening, as long as I are not pressed (no pun intended) for time or have a ton of interruptions. I guess you can stop and smell the roses even when you're hard at work.
So here is my job for the evening. It looked like a lot more when it was all bunched up in my laundry room (I know, bunched up is not very conducive to quick ironing). The kids will be in bed soon and I will tackle this pile with zeal, while planning in my head the sewing project I get to do when I am finished :).
8 comments:
I'll happily pay you 5 cents an item if you'll iron my pile!
I LOVE your quote about not being behind on laundry. Made me laugh out loud. I laughed again just now. =)
My ironing trick is that I have to iron five items every time I turn on the iron. That means in the middle of a sewing project you'll always find me ironing a few shirts. My little way of forcing myself to do a chore I don't like.
Mom paid you!? I thought it was just another one of the chores that I didn't have to do.
A few days before Robert and i got married Robert's mom was ironing his church shirt for him. She sighed and said, "I guess you'll be doing this for him from now on." Robert and I both laughed. I never iron. But he doesn't wear button up shirts to work everyday, so I don't feel bad.
oohhh, can I borrow this tag line?? It would really serve me well!! I honestly can't remember the last time I ironed!!
I don't like ironing either. Half the reason is I was never really taught how so I don't think I do it right which means it takes me longer...I really should get some better ironing techniques going.
I do like the time to ponder like you mentioned. Sometimes I will even download a talk or something on my I Pod to listen to while I iron.
Speaking of which, I really should get off the computer and go do some ironing. My husband needs work shirts for tomorrow.
URK! I hate ironing and if I showed you my room FULL of unfolded laundry you'd probably never go back to my blog again....
I knew it was bad when one morning Yoshi yelled "I can't find any t-shirts" and Harry yelled back "Go and look in Laundry Mountain" Eep. They've NAMED it!
You are better than me though - when we got married my husband offered to show me how to iron his work shirts and I just laughed at him. (After all I was working too, and did I ask him to sort my work stuff out??)
These days I will occasionally iron his non-work stuff but I have enough to deal with the kids and my stuff, and he's a big grown up man!
We both work though - when I was a stay at home mum I did more but NEVER his uniforms!!
It is amazing the things I learn from reading your blog. I don't remember the 5 cent deal. Did it work for very long?
I do remember when I was teaching you to do the laundry, you wanted to know why you needed to learn how to do it. I told you just in case and you asked me if I was planning on getting sick. From the looks of things, I prepared you well for the future, which is now today!!!
When I was 13 and we were planning to move to Orangevale (it was rural in those days), I wanted a horse. So I ironed for my mohter for 5 cents per item. (No inflation between when I did it and you did it - were you underpaid?) I ironed all summer before we moved and earned enough for the hores ($350). And I ruined only one item. Your ironing blog remiinded me of this, and I thought you might be interested in it.
Dad (I view your blog under Mom's sign on)
I don't iron. Not at all. My dryer is my iron. If it's wrinkled I throw it in for a few minutes, and whalah!
I know. I'm lame.
Post a Comment