Monday, July 28, 2008

Warning: Severe Grumpiness Ahead

Perhaps it is just getting toward the end of summer. The hot weather that keeps us all indoors, the fact that my last kid did get sick and seems to be draining every last bit of my compassion from my soul. Maybe I am just tired. Maybe the kids are tired of listening to me and I am tired of listening to them.

Sometimes kids have bad days, and moms deal with it as best they can, trying to help them through a rough time. But sometimes moms have bad days, and few and far between are the pats on the back and reassuring words from their offspring.

Sometimes, even though I would literally give my life for my children, I feel like screaming, "GET YOUR OWN CUP OF MILK!" "NO, I DON'T WANT TO READ THAT BOOK TO YOU FOR THE FIFTH TIME!" "I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT POKEMON TODAY!"

Some days I would like there to be a rule in my house that no sentence that starts with, "Mom, you need to . . ." "Mom, when are you going to . . ." or "Mom, get me . . ." is allowed.

Some days I wish that all the work I have put into trying to teach my children life skills, independent thinking and problem solving would come to full fruition just for a day or even and afternoon. Even the little ones can do so much for themselves if they will get over the fact that it might take a little effort and just do it!

Some days I wish my kids would think before they ask something from me, and notice things like: "Oh, mom is in the laundry room folding laundry and I am sitting here in the kitchen three feet from the fridge, maybe I should get the milk out for myself instead of asking her to stop what she is doing, walk all the way to the kitchen, get my milk, and a cup while she is at it and pour me a drink while I sit here like a bump on a log."

It's not that I don't want to or won't help my kids with things they need, but geeze!!!! All their demands really add up. It's hard to pick and choose what I am going to help them with and what I am going to insist they do on their own. And I wonder how I can teach them to serve and help each other when so often I am telling them "I think you can handle that one yourself," and denying them of my help. I cringe when the kids are eating breakfast and someone asks for the milk or cereal and another kid says, "Get it yourself." Ugh.

My best approach so far is to point out what is going on around them so they can see that it would be easier and quicker for all of them if they just took care of the "problem" themselves by saying things like, "Sure, I'll come do that for you if you will take over washing the dishes for me." I still feel like a mean mom when I say things like that, but they cannot spend their lives relying on others to do simple tasks that they can do themselves. And it wears their mom out. I would much rather save my energy to help them with a big art project or play a game or do something fun with them.

Big sigh. My kids are not bad kids. It's not like they never do anything kind for me. They are often even very sensitive and compassionate to each other. So I guess it is just dog days of summer getting to us. We are all moving slower and feeling lazier, demanding more of each other and wishing there was less demanded of each of us. Perhaps what we need is a day off from our days off so we can appreciate them again.

1 comment:

Dianna said...

I'm sorry things are hard right now. I know we used to drive my mom crazy during the summer too. Hugs to you, and tell your husband that you need a break tonight!