There is one area, however, that I have pretty much given my kids free reign, though not necessarily on purpose. My kids are allowed to choose their own outfits. There are many days I wish my children would wear clothing combinations that didn't make people wonder if my whole family is color blind. There are days I wish they would wear their socks folded or scrunched nicely as they were meant to be instead of rolled down like doughnuts around their ankles. There are days I wish their shoes would go sensibly with the outfit they have chosen, and that their shirts weren't on backward.
I don't think I started just letting them wear whatever they want on purpose. When they are little and they come out dressed by themselves, proud at their accomplishments it is hard to say, "Well that's great honey, but your outfit is all wrong." I just can't do it. So we started going to the grocery store and library with mismatched clothing, with shorts and rain boots on, or some item of clothing inside out. Then there came the days when I had more kids and I just didn't have time to give subtle commentary as they chose their outfits each the morning. If they were dressed before noon, and I didn't have to struggle with them to get them clothed, I considered it good.
So now I am stuck in the habit. The truth is, except for the initial, "Oh, that's an interesting outfit she/he chose today," I don't really notice what they are wearing anymore. Until we go out in public. Like here:
I totally forgot that Tab was wearing this darling getup (the purple shirt even had little flowers on it to contrast with the hearts on her pants) until we were down at the park at a church party. That's when I start to wonder what people are thinking. Do they understand? They must realize that I didn't dress them. Do they think: How could she let her kids out of the house like that?
I totally forgot that Tab was wearing this darling getup (the purple shirt even had little flowers on it to contrast with the hearts on her pants) until we were down at the park at a church party. That's when I start to wonder what people are thinking. Do they understand? They must realize that I didn't dress them. Do they think: How could she let her kids out of the house like that?I mentioned this worry to a good friend of mine and she said, "Don't worry about it. If their hair is combed and they are clean people know they are well cared for. No one will mistake them for orphan children." And I think she is right. It's just another one of those times when I have to have confidence that what I am doing is right for my children, even if some people wouldn't let their kids be caught dead in some of the getups my kids choose.
The good news is that as my older kids have grown they have began to make better "matching" choices with their outfits, and occasionally even ask for my opinion. My hope, and a small one it may be, is that if they fell free to wear whatever they want from the beginning my boys won't feel a need to wear styles that reflect a lack of, um, self respect(?) and my daughters won't be sneaking out the door in crazy, make-your-mom-faint-and-your-dad-blush outfits when they are teenagers. Then again, it may just backfire.
9 comments:
I agree with your conclusion. I want my kids to feel free to wear what they want to wear, and not what is popular. My parents were very similar to you, and now I just wear jeans every day because they match all my t-shirts. I wish my two-year old cared enough to dress himself, but he doesn't even care enough to make a selection when I offer him this shirt or that one!
I think your philosophy is great! When I see a mismatched outfit on a kid, I don't think badly of the mom, because I know that she's patient enough to let her kid make their own choices. What I look for is whether the kid is happy!
I am all for letting them choose...particularly when it is one thing you DON'T have to do! :)
My kids know they can choose whatever styles they want, but it has to be modest and clean (not-crude). That is my entire criteria. If they feel good about themselves, who cares what anyone else thinks?
I remember being so proud of how I dressed and how I was able to fix my own hair when I was a kid. Then I look back on pictures from that time and I cringe. Luckily my kids are happy to wear whatever I put on them and beyond being able to wear a favorite shirt have no special requests. I guess it is easier with boys since they mostly wear jeans and tshirts any way.
Around here we call it toddler chic.
Drea
I wish I could let go a bit more. Over the years I think I've relaxed a bit, but I do know I've crushed a few little spirits by making them change into something that matches better. I try to let it go but it is so hard for me! I do let them wear what they like at home. Does that count?
Way to go for not caring what other people think too much.
I have to admit, I dress my kids. Not so much my older 2 any more, but I do my 2 year old. Although she wears only a diapers mosts days where we're home, by her choosing. Most of the things my kids own match no matter what. Lots of jeans or neutral colors, so they pick out an outfit, and most likely, it'll "match". One thing I do feel go about though, is I let my kids have some free choice over what I buy. They are allowed to pick some items they really LOVE, even if they make me cringe inside.
my kids often dress themselves, and it's often a fashion disaster but the happy look on their little faces is priceless and more important than my pride.
You're right, thanks for sharing :)
my three year old loves to dress himself. He does pretty good except he puts his shorts on backwards half the time and has not figured out buttons yet. I think their enthusiasm to dress themselves is cute.
Post a Comment